Sunday, March 3, 2013

Changing With the Digital Times



As a media professional, I am very well aware that an organization’s success is contingent on its willingness to change with the times…especially in the rapidly evolving digital age.  Exponential volumes of consumers are placing greater dependency on mobile devices and internet resources for various purposes… shopping, entertainment, catching up on current events, fact finding, job hunting, socializing, photo sharing… you name it.  The digital age is offering modern conveniences that consumers expect their service providers to deliver. Organizations that are indifferent to the digital revolution, are surviving on borrowed time.  They risk being abandoned by loyal audiences / consumers, who will flock to the competitor that can deliver on conventional computers, SMART PHONES and TABLETS alike.

Switching gears…As a photographer, I was very eager to develop a website that featured my work.  Like many other photographers, I immediately gravitated to a flash enabled website that offered the most graphically appealing solution, with animated features, that would surely attract the masses.  I was convinced that I had the perfect vehicle for showcasing my portfolio and promoting my brand.  Why???  Because this website was “cutting edge”, it looked professional, it was easy to navigate and it was a great representation of my brand.  In truth, such aesthetics were trivial and not enough to effectively reach the masses, promote my brand or maintain a presence in the digital arena.  Reality hit when it became clear that this beautifully designed site could only be accessed on desktops and laptops.  It could not be accessed on the mobile phones or tablets, that possessed a tight hold on an increasing volume of consumers.

Translation… People who relied on mobile devices for everything would not to see my site.  Consumers who were accustomed to immediate conveniences were not wasting their time trying to figure out why they couldn’t access the site.  As a result, they were likely moving on, in hopes of finding another photography website that was mobile-friendly / easily accessible.

Lesson learned…Repeated attempts to engage a growing population of mobile dependent audiences and drive them to my flash site were futile.  I recognized the necessity of changing coarse and severing ties with the non-mobile friendly flash platform that so many photographers embraced.  It was time for me to take the logical step of practicing what I preached in my media profession -- change with the times, in order to meet the needs of consumers.

As much as I loved my flash site, I had to replace it with a mobile-friendly HTML site that was accessible to everyone, on every digital device…especially smart phones and tablets.

Adapting to mobile devices won’t be the last challenge to be presented to service providers.  As the digital world continues to make advances, consumer demand will keep evolving and organizations will continue to face new trials.  A few simple solutions for managing such challenges include remaining vigilant of digital trends, staying attuned to consumer behavior and adapting to changes that will meet the needs of your audience.   

Quick and final note… establishing and maintaining a presence on social media platforms is also a major “plus” for organizations that want to remain competitive in the digital age.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very informative post!